Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Working out...the necessary evil

I am totally fat. Seriously, FAT. Do not get it twisted, I used to be a LOT fatter though, like 'high triglycerides was on a 60 year old fat man’s maintenance med' fatter. I am 6 feet tall and weigh roughly 235lbs, but i used to weigh about 300 lbs. What happened? I had a fear of being “that guy” who, to put it how my good friend said it "eats like a 1500 pound, bed ridden, morbidly obese man that needs to get removed from his house by cutting a hole in the wall and bringing in a forklift." Well played sir, well played. 
So brings us to the title of the post, working out, ah the joys of exerting physical energy for a little gain in athleticism, stamina and health. It is not an easy task, nor do you reap immediate benefits to reward the effort put forth into doing it, but the long term gains are substantial and should be your main reason for doing it. Recently I have started hitting a regular workout pretty hard....click to read more!


I hate working out, it is not a secret; lots of people work out and despise it. So I started to mountain bike thinking, "Ok this will be a great workout". Well it wasn't nearly enough to offset years of smoking, drinking and eating terribly. I increased my biking to 3 to 4 days a week at 10+ miles each ride; I still wanted more though.

Then I started running after work. The issue for me is working out after a long day at the office is not my idea of fun, so I was only running 2 days a week about 1 or 2 miles each time. Granted this was helping my stamina immensely, but I still felt as though I could do more and maintain the life I was living after work, but how to balance this?

The answer literally popped in my work email. *BING you have mail* (or whatever it says these days lol). The email was from my 9-5 job and they were opening a fitness center with locker rooms, showers, running trail, volley ball, racquet ball and basketball courts! Best part? It was FREE, I don’t know about you but FREE-Ninety Nine is my favorite price ever.

It became clear, exercise on lunch! All I was doing anyway was rolling to Starbucks and getting my FATTIE on with a Frappuccino and free Wi-Fi. So it began, me and my homie Doug started running this Tuesday on lunch. We are currently running 9 minute miles nonstop, keep in mind we have not ran for a combined 15 years lol! We plan on increasing to a 3 mile run in 25-30 minutes three days a week and basketball the other two days.

I still bike, now I run and play basketball and soon I start on the upper body with some sit-ups and pushups in the morning.


Peep before and after pictures and wish me luck because being a FATTIE, sucks!


2 comments: